Thank you for your interest in joining the North Texas Community Foundation team.
Please view the current job opportunities for information on how to apply.
North Texas Community Foundation is a nonprofit, public charity established in 1981 by local community leaders. We are a collection of more than 250 different charitable funds totaling over $340 million in assets, each separately accounted for, and each with its own design and purpose.
We strive to strengthen the community through civic leadership and to encourage philanthropy by providing community knowledge and reliable stewardship to those who wish to fulfill their charitable goals in a meaningful way—either during or beyond their lifetimes. Our vision is to lead and inspire powerful and rewarding philanthropy that improves the quality of life and the prosperity of our region.
The Controller plays a key role in the financial management of the Community Foundation. The position reports directly to the Chief Financial Officer and requires an expertise in finance with strong bookkeeping experience.
The Role of Controller
NTXCF is seeking a permanent, full-time Controller. The position is responsible for various accounting, financial reporting and analysis, and records management. The Controller supervises accounts payable and grant administration personnel. The position provides competitive compensation, retirement, vacation and sick time, medical, life and long-term disability insurance. The ideal candidate possesses the following nonprofit accounting experience:
- Supervise the processing of daily cash and stock donations, bank deposits
- Supervise accounts payable and grant check writing activities
- Reconcile bank accounts
- Monthly reconciliation of investment accounts
- Fixed asset record maintenance
- General journal voucher entry
- Financial administrative duties
Skills and Competencies
- Must have a high level of integrity. Will have access to confidential information.
- Must be proficient with Word, Excel, and Outlook with the ability to learn database software.
- Ability to prepare and maintain accurate financial records and reports in a timely manner.
- Excellent communication and time management skills.
- Has aptitude for numbers and attention to detail.
- Has knowledge and understanding of accounting process and impact on financial statements.
- Team player with a strong work ethic.
- Supervision experience.
- Full charge bookkeeping experience a plus.
- Experience in a non-profit environment a plus.
- Experience in an integrated financial database a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required.
If interested, please send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Resume should include job experience, educational background and software experience.
For more information about the North Texas Community Foundation, visit www.NorthTexasCF.org
North Texas Community Foundation is a Fort Worth-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to strengthening our 11-county region through effective philanthropy and civic leadership to address key community issues. We serve local individuals, families and corporations by helping them achieve their charitable goals in a meaningful way – during and beyond their lifetimes.
The Community Foundation is privileged to work in collaboration with our fundholders, their trusted professional advisors, nonprofit partners and civic leaders to make sure North Texas is strong for generations to come.
North Texas Community Foundation currently holds net assets over $350 million.
North Texas Community Foundation recently completed a 5-year strategic plan that identified significant opportunity to expand the Foundation’s reach and enhance its suite of philanthropic services to effect positive change in our community. The Board of Directors unanimously approved the plan and allocated the financial resources necessary to position the North Texas Community Foundation as the first and best choice for donors, a focal point for local philanthropy, and a financially sound, sustainable organization with the capacity to serve our region today, tomorrow and forever.
Reporting to the Chief Philanthropy Officer (CPO), the Director of Philanthropic Services will be responsible for increasing financial contributions to the Foundation by engaging professional advisors and their clients, as well as working with individuals and families to establish funds and expectancies.
Generating charitable opportunities requires a highly motivated and reliable professional who possesses excellent communication and organizational skills. The Director is responsible for working closely with the CPO to cultivate leads and prospects who would benefit from having a fund at the Community Foundation. The Director will often work with legal, financial, and accounting professionals as they serve their clients; thus, prior employment with legal or financial industries is a plus.
This position participates on the development team which also includes donor relations and communications, but will integrate with all aspects of the Community Foundation.
It’s important to note that experience with contemporary teambuilding strategies with a diverse generational team is important.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Partnering and cultivating relationships with professional advisors to raise awareness of the services and benefits NTxCF can provide for their clients.
- Identifying, meeting and cultivating potential fundholders and inspiring them to become partners with the Foundation.
- Represents the Foundation externally with prospects, donors, professional advisors, charitable organizations, professional groups, and the community.
- Works with senior management, marketing/communications/events staff and consulting professionals to guide the Foundation’s strategic development.
Ideal experience and skills
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree is required.
- Graduate studies or certification in finance, law or planned giving preferred, but will consider business, development, or other relevant field experience.
- Career experience: (7 years minimum)
- Has a proven track record of raising funds, building/maintaining relationships, increasing customer bases or similar development work.
- Has a working knowledge of charitable gift vehicles.
- Stays current with legislative and regulatory developments.
- Experience with community foundations is a plus.
- Related Experience:
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written, presentation), strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build trust with others.
- Knowledge and understanding of philanthropic interests, charitable motivators, and financial relationships in the context of working with high net worth individuals.
- Data management software (CRM), a thorough understanding of how to use it in a development application.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications. FIMS software knowledge a plus.
- Knowledge of legal and regulatory compliance issues related to charitable gifts, community foundations, and nonprofit grantmaking a plus.
Ideal personal profile
The ideal candidate will have a background of working successfully with professional advisors and high net worth individuals. The candidate should be energetic, engaging and able to build strong relationships and gain client respect by knowing and communicating the positive attributes of a relationship with the Community Foundation. We are looking for a polished, personable, and well-informed individual with the knowledge, demeanor, maturity, and ethics to represent the foundation effectively. Must be a team player with the desire to work with other staff to make a meaningful impact on the community. As a professional, he/she must be self-directed, able to manage multiple complex projects with competing deadlines in an accurate and timely manner, with strong attention to detail. The selected candidate will be a respected individual with strong philanthropic principles and a demonstrated commitment to community service.
A resume and cover letter should be directed to Laura McWhorter, CFRE at email@example.com.